Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 2, 2012

Circa! Cirque due "whoa look at that"

Tonight was my night off from Swimming in the Shallows, so I figured I ought to take my girlfriend to a show, since my new years resolution was to see more theatre. I could have taken in various offerings, but when I heard about Circa and saw this video on Thomas Garvey's Hub Reivew I splurged and bought two orchestra seats to tonight's performance.

Circa is a minimalist, post modern riff on circus performances ala Cirque Soleil but without the goofy costumes or sets. The set for tonight's performance was a gym mat, and a traipse and rope that descended for parts of the performance. So did you watch that video? Yeah it was some pretty amazing stuff. They performed on a physical level beyond anything I could ever imagine being capable of, and it was incredibly inspiring, especially when you think about the hours of work and dedication over the years it must have taken them to get to that level.

It was a stunning, visceral, funny and thrilling celebration of the human form and it's possibilities. And I don't know what else really to say about it! You kind of have to see it to believe it. It made me think about wanting to become a more physical performer. It made me think about the way that they were conscious of and would work the audience. It made me think about physical presence in space. All of that stuff, and all of it in relationship to my life as a performer.

Yeah, just really incredible stuff. Totally worth the money. If you can see it, see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment