Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 21, 2012

Further thoughts on Crooked Arrows

Let's see, it's been... three days since I saw Crooked Arrows, and I've been continuing to digest the experience of seeing the final product and subsequently news has come out that it banked $280,000 in 55 theaters which for a film in it's size in it's range of distribution is pretty strong, so expectations are positive that it will do well in wide release and after screening at Cannes (that's right, a movie I was in screened at MOTHERF@#%&!G CANNES OH YEAH) it's been picked up for international distribution to Europe and so forth, all of which is good news.

While I was mentally penning a note to send to the director, producers, etc congratulating them on the success of the film, I started to think about how culturally significant and remarkable it is that a film essentially oriented to such specific niche audience, the lacrosse and by extension Native American community, could be made on what is in film making terms such a modest budget (I think something like $10 million dollars total, don't quote me on that) could go on to be successful in a traditional model of distribution. What I mean to say is releasing it to movie theaters instead of just putting it out on DVD and video on demand services, which is increasingly the route many small and independent films are taking. The way that they've been able to make that work is largely through viral marketing using Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and you know, the internet.

This is process I've been aware of since I first started reading webcomics as an adolescent, which I think will go down in history as part of the really initial wave of "new media" before Youtube and all that stuff made it convenient to post movies to the internet. Back when dial up was still the norm guys like Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik of the comic strip Penny Arcade or Scott Kurtz of PVP (two of my favorite webcomics, and also two of the longest lasting and most successful franchises in the webcomics world) were able to turn posting pictures they drew onto the internet for free into a very viable business model. If you're not familiar with Penny Arcade, today it's like a multi million dollar company and one of the major voices in the world of... wait for it, video games. And it was by feeding into a demand unmet by big conventional media companies (and I should also add doing it very well), which is to say video gamers, they were able to turn their creative project into a fairly big thing culturally and monetarily (at least in their specific niche) without having a big publishing deal. Love him or hate him, Tyler Perry has been able to pull off a similar thing by catering to the values of a very specific and underserved niche group, middle class African Americans, by telling stories that cater very strongly to their world view and giving them to them on a regular basis.

If I'm not mistaken, Crooked Arrows is one of the first films post Tyler Perry to take another audience, again the Lacrosse community who has money to spend on movie tickets and will probably be willing to buy DVDs as well as t-shirts, ball caps, lacrosse sticks, etc and made a product catered to that community and offered it up to them again not on the internet or on DVD but in a movie theatre and telling them about it through very specific low cost marketing strategies focusing on the internet.

I mean Jesus, do you realize how much money goes into marketing a film like The Avengers or Transformers or your typical summer block buster like say Battleship which is in the process of rapidly sinking under it's own hubris while Crooked Arrows is looking to make a profit? Hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars. The ten million dollar quote I made earlier for Crooked Arrows I believe includes marketing. So I think it's very exciting that a small, independent group of creatives will have the ability in the coming decades to create a product catered to a specific audience and deliver it to them. And hey, I'm a part of it! Wow, that's pretty cool.

So there's all that, and upon further contemplation of the work I did in my own role... I have such a long way to go. As an actor, it's so easy to be super hypercritical of your work, and there's some of that in my reaction to seeing myself in the movie. And the desire to go back and rerecord everything. But what's done is done, and I guess what I failed to realize is how incredibly in over my head I was doing  a role that size in a feature of that scale, having just done a bunch of parts in like web series and student films and stuff, to say nothing of the amount of voice over work that was involved of which I had no experience or training. So looking at it from that perspective, I did pretty good. But I've had to scale back my expectations about what happens next. I don't think based on this performance, Judd Apatow is going to be calling me and offering me a role in the next Superbad. But at the same time, I've demonstrated that I can pull something like this off without having ever done any of the smaller kinds of roles you usually do in film and television before it's like "BOOM you're a principal, go". Which also speaks to the kind of risk that the director and the producer took by casting me, and how grateful I have to be to them for that opportunity. Once again, the task now is pulling together a reel that shows what I can do, figuring out what that thing is going to be, and honing it and perfecting etc. And what an exciting journey that will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment