Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 23, 2012

Habits

I have a habit of habitually checking sites like Craigslist (where I first started finding acting gigs before I had the sense to finally pay for Stagesource), New England Film and New England Theatre 411 for auditions, if I'm really bored, sometimes more than once in a day. I think I'm getting better about it. This is in spite of the fact that I'm presently more or less booked out.

How booked out? As you know I'm doing Three Sisters this June, which now that the director has finished with her other directorial commitment for the Spring will be picking up in frequency of rehearsal, intensity and momentum and then the thing you don't know because I haven't told anyone I'll be playing Alfred in Apollinaire's summer outdoor production of Rosencratz and Guildenstern Are Dead. I'm happy with this part. Obviously, of the speaking roles in the show of which there are only like eight if you think about it, Alfred is the smallest. But he's not a spear carrier, he's a living human being with a troubled past. Also he gets to wear a dress, and I'm sure I can find some fun physical comedy type business for him to engage in as part of the ensemble of tragedians. And he gets to imitate Gertrude. All in all, I think it's a win for me. It is a family show, and we are toning down the elements where the Player offers him as a uh... prostitute to Rosencratz and Guildenstern, but hey while I'm not doing anything else I can build those given circumstances into my portrayal. I mean think about it, this kid has been really actively abused up to this point. Probably he was sold to the Player, who hits him and makes him do things he doesn't want to do to the point of... yeah. How would someone who'd gone through that carry some selves? I mean this kid is a victim of serious trauma. Oh yeah though, it's a comedy. Look at the funny man in the dress!

So that'll be exciting. Another habit I have is not preparing as well I should. I have quite a bit of getting off book to do. For Three Sisters and for The Apology the one act which we're presenting on Friday at 7 PM in Roxbury, for free so come see that because I think it's going to be really good.

Also my staged reading of The Last Jews by Larry Jay Tish featuring Chuck Schwager, Amber Williams, myself oh and BOBBIE STEINBACH which is May 7th at Boston Playwrights Theatre. Our rehearsal for that is next Monday and it's pretty exciting too.

Before that though, my improv troupe is trying our first stab at doing long form at Improv Boston's Geekweek this Sunday at 7:30. So many awesome opportunities for you to see me doing great stuff. Which is to say if you are reading this you are invited to those things. So come see them. Or not. I'll understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment